Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Buying Handmade Gifts

If you're like me, and less like the ever organised Marian, you may love the idea of giving handmade gifts this year, but with the best of intentions find that you can't quite handmake all of them yourself. Or you may find that the craft that you are most comfortable creating gifts with isn't quite what the recipient will be over joyed about. Some ages and stages are notoriously difficult to buy for. I am predominantly a knitter. My daughter can take or leave knitwear at this point. The dramatic layering of fabric though, accompanied by appropriate accessories including belts, bags and jewellery, now that will get her attention. Now while I can sew.....let's just say it would be more effort than the results may be worth, especially at this time of year.


So this is partly why I'm doing this string of posts. When I got to the craft fair a number of people popped into my head in terms of gifts that were just perfect for them. I would quite happily have instantaneously transported a few people there and given them free reign at the stalls knowing that they could chose something that they would be delighted with. I'm one of those folks who has no problem turning up with the cash as long as the recipient has a gift which makes them smile. I don't need the glow that comes from knowing in advance the perfect gift to get. My ego is sound enough to deal with the fact that sometimes I am just CLUELESS. Next year some folks are going to be brought with me and told to go feast their eyes and when I find that they are particularly taken with something then I'll cough up the cash. Sorted.


Now back to my daughter. My delightful Tween (not quite child and not quite teen) knows her own mind. Which is fabulous, apart from the fact that said mind is liable to change faster than a chameleon can change its colour to suit its environment. I'm a fast knitter but not even I can keep up with how her tastes change. So, it was with some relief that I was able to keep the pledge to buy handmade and side step the creating by getting her a rather nifty clutch purse from one of the vendors.

I'm also happy about the fact that I bought Irish and handmade, and in doing so am supporting an artisan who is based in the island of Ireland and who will go on to buy more materials and create more 'Made in Ireland' items. Never mind the doom and gloom about recession and the dozing Celtic Tiger. I'd much rather concentrate on the good I can do with my income. Right now I'm thinking I did good. :)

Bye for now.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This is really great to hear as someone who has made most of her christmas presents this year and all of my cards. Not just because of the dredit CC word (credit crunch) but my love of making things. Also, because I sell my handmade cushions, hot water bottle covers and cards so I wish everyone thought like you :o) Have a great Christmas and good luck with the knitting. Not sure where you are based but I will be starting a knitting club in January in Roscommon.

craftyrainbowhead said...

Thanks Michelle,

I'm based in Limerick City and am in the process of setting up a Knit'n'Knatter in Nenagh too.

Let me know when you get your group started. I'd quite happily take a jaunt to Roscommon and join in with the group. :) I figure it'd be a great way to see Ireland visiting the various knitting circles and yarn stores.

Happy Christmas to you too.

Thanks for the comment.