Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Nenagh Christmas Craft Fair Part One

Hey there crafty folks,

What did I get up to over the weekend I hear you say?

Well, Saturday morning saw myself and one of my best mates boarding a bus for Nenagh, Co. Tipperary for a weekend getaway in the Abbey Court Hotel. As I'm known for my crafty inclinations by all who even slightly know me, my work colleagues gave me the head's up that there was a craft fair due to take place in the hotel on Sunday. Locals read about it here.

First thing on our to do list, once we got to Nenagh and after we sated our appetities, was to find the Abbey Court. Happy to wander and see what there was to be seen, we first, of course, went the wrong way. Happily enough a sign let us know that the 'to Dublin' direction of the N7 was tback he way we had come.

:Cue about face:

So on we strolled and another sign assured that we were now indeed travelling in the right direction. Happy days! Next thing I know I'm talking to thin air as my mate had made a beeline across the road to the below pictured Ye Olde Irish Shoppe.

Ye Olde Irish Shoppe

Blogger that I am I of course I took pictures of what had caught his interest.

Ancient Irish Flakes of Corn!

He craned his neck and squinted through the condensation to note that the closing date of the competition referred to on the Cornflakes box was February 1994!

(Well, maybe not ancient exactly, but close enough considering that both of us were about 15 years old at that point).

Vintage Cornflakes circa 1994

And yes, gentle readers, we are both easily amused.

Considering this is a craft blog I shall move swiftly along, once I make another digression and point your attention to the view we were treated to on Sunday morning.


A crisp frosty morning on the Abbey Court grounds

It's one of those views that's even better for the fact that the viewer is ensconced in a lovely warm room.

Now crafts.

Craft nerd that I am, this was actually the highlight of my weekend. Yes, I know, three star hotel, pretty grounds, friendly staff and good food notwithstanding, the craft fair is what had me up and bouncing on that cold and frosty morning.

Now keep in mind that there were around 60 stands at the craft fair and patient as my readers are with my meandering ways, I'm not going to reference all 60 in this post. That said, I really wish I'd budgeted to do my Christmas shopping at the fair because there really was something for everyone represented. From art prints to Fair Trade foods, aromatherapy to wood worked delights, jewellary to Nappy Cakes (yes, that's spelled right, more on those later) and everything in between. If it was Irish and handcrafted, you could find it here. There was also an Eastern European cross stitch and wood work stand but unfortunately (although happily for the fair) the volume of folks milling about made taking pictures & business details challenging at times.

First up I give you baskets.

There were an array of different designs and if I had snapped a sample of each this blog would have to be retitled to Basket Appreciation Head. There was the cutest Moses basket, along with pretty lamps and different sized hampers and sorters. A haven for the new householder looking for a change from plastic containers and mass produced generic.

Patsy Cahill Basketry


Patsy Cahill Basketry

I think the smaller baskets pictured above would look lovely on a kitchen countertop or (in my craft room) to hold craft notions. Patsy is in the process of getting a web page together. Until then he can be contacted on patsycahill@eircom.net .

My next post will be about Hand Crafted Jewellery.










2 comments:

somelimerickguy said...

Im sorry, but how could i not be distracted by the shop that time forgot...

Anonymous said...

it really is a great shop, i'd love to have seen it when it was open, now it's just a quick glance on my way to work.